I often miss autocomplete feature of IDEs while on the web. I couldn’t find anything so I thought may be I will make something on my own. So here is what I have come up with over the past few days:
- The interface should not intrude user at all if he wants to type without using the feature
- The interface is turned off temporarily (till next word) by pressing ESC once, press twice to deactivate, press again to reactivate
- Press DOWN for next suggestion, UP for previous
- Press TAB or ENTER to accept a suggestion
- … or just press RIGHT as you would have if it were a normal selection
- Dictionaries are configurable and numerous. Takes JSONP sources (type=store), webpages (type=page) and current pages (type=self).
A sample initiation:
I wanted to actually make a chrome extension but I couldn’t design it in a way that will allow me to add HTML/text to webpages without the webpages themselves sniffing them away resulting in user data being breached without their permission. So I will just upload the scripts that I have written. May be someone can suggest me a way to do what I originally intended to do.
The code is available on Github and is licensed with MIT License.